- This parking lot had pavement that was about 10 years old, with some minor repairs, but a really badly failing catch basin vault. The vault was constructed of old Seattle red bricks and had a broken ceramic drain pipe at the bottom. The rest of the lot had never been sealed, and had raveled asphalt that had gotten lots of debris stuck in the pits of the asphalt, and had been growing moss in all of the stall areas. Some bollards had been pulled out of the ground, but never repaired, so holes were just full of dirt. They also had a couple of sidewalk sections that were failing.
Solution suggested by P3:
- We had to notify all surrounding businesses that they would not be able to use the church parking for week day parking. We removed the damaged concrete and excavated the bollard holes for patching. We excavated the entire catch basin area, removed all of the broken bricks and exposed the broken ceramic pipe. We removed the broken pipe section and replaced it with heavy duty PVC pipe, and rebuilt the entire catch basin walls. We then patched the entire area, pressure washed the entire parking lot, sealed all the cracks in the pavement and applied a third tier sealcoat application. We machine squeegeed the first coat and added an additional sand load to the material, and sprayed the second coat. We then striped the lot, and replaced the concrete sidewalk.
Results of repairs completed by P3:
- This was a tired old parking lot that had been paved years ago by ignoring the catch basin problem. The high quality pressure wash of 100% of the surface ensured that all of the sealcoat would stick to the pavement for years to come. Pressure washing pavement is rare in our industry, but we have found it can easily double the life of the sealer – since the adhesion rate is so much higher when the surface is very clean before applying the sealant. The sand loading additive also helps fill in old rough pavement and really increase the wear surface of the surface. By machine squeegeeing the material’s first coat, the material is really worked into the surface for long lasting wear. This was an exceptional quality product in a market where “wire broom, blow and sprayed on material” may only last a year. This project we completed will likely look great 5 years from now.